On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 03:29:04PM -0700, Warren Young wrote:
> The occasional contributed patch, while much appreciated, doesn't
> count as simultaneous development. The minimum it'd take to qualify
> is a second person working on MySQL++ about as much as I do now, but
> on a different version. Unless you're wanting to start v4 now, Chris,
> with an eye to getting it out within the six months, I don't see the
> justification for a branch. And if you were thinking of starting on
> v4, I'd ask why not help me get 3.1 out the door instead, so we can
> both get to v4 faster?
I was asking out of curiosity, since I may be heading into "stable ABI"
territory with my own projects in the future. I don't mean to be rushing
you along, and I agree with helping with 3.1 if I'm just looking to
volunteer some time. My name is even in the 3.1 wishlist, so that would
be the logical place for me to start. :-)
> Patches appear on the mailing list or are attached to the gna.org bug
> DB. There they wait until I get around to starting v4. This is how I
> handled v3, and that worked out all right.
I was interested to hear how you balance things out, so thank you
for that. From the user's point of view, it seems that there isn't
one place to see pending patches for upcoming versions, and therefore
no easy way to test them, or to see if "v4 pending" fixes their issue.
But again, it's all a matter of tradeoffs, as you pointed out.