List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Edward Diener Date:January 28 2009 5:34am
Subject:Re: Calling stored procedure and returning result in SSQLS structure
View as plain text
Warren Young wrote:
 > Jim Wallace wrote:
 >> I use SPs almost exclusively with MySQL++.
 >
 > Okay, I'll bite. :)
 >
 > My ignorant view is that stored procedures are software written in a
 > quasi-proprietary language that's less powerful and arguably even uglier
 > than C++

That describes SQL also in general, but does not appear to stop anyone
from using SQL.

 >, which must be stored in the DB engine

Correct.

 > where it's resistant to
 > source code control and other change management practices that overcomes
 > these difficulties.

Just because the stored procedure is on the server does not mean it can
not be put under source code control anywhere.

 > If by some wild chance I've managed to capture the essence of the issue,
 > what compelling value do you find that outweighs these problems?
 >
 > If, as seems more likely, I'm wrong in my assessment, I'd appreciate a
 > viewpoint correction.

Think of stored procedures as C functions. One passes parameters to them
and they return results. That is an ease of use issue. The set of stored
procedures for a particular database is analogous to the functions in a
C library. That is an ease of maintenance issue.

Another main reason for stored procedures is that they do intermediate
things on the server side without having to round-trip back to the
client. Sometimes complicated calculations require calls into the
database before the final action is done. Having all these actions
reside on the server saves quite a bit of round trip time.

Thread
Calling stored procedure and returning result in SSQLS structureEdward Diener28 Jan
  • Re: Calling stored procedure and returning result in SSQLS structureWarren Young28 Jan
    • RE: Calling stored procedure and returning result in SSQLS structureJim Wallace28 Jan
      • Re: Calling stored procedure and returning result in SSQLS structureWarren Young28 Jan
        • RE: Calling stored procedure and returning result in SSQLS structureJim Wallace28 Jan
Re: Calling stored procedure and returning result in SSQLS structureEdward Diener28 Jan