List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:December 14 2008 5:45am
Subject:Re: SSL connections
View as plain text
On Dec 13, 2008, at 3:17 PM, Edward Diener wrote:

> How do I make a SSL connection using mysql++ ? I did not see any
> mention of SSL in the mysql++ documentation but maybe I just missed
> it.

It's been discussed on the list before.

You need to pass a mysqlpp::SslOption object to
Connection::set_option().

I suspect you're building for Windows?  If so, beware that we've seen
problems getting this to work on Windows, confirmed by the comments
here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/secure-basics.html

There are further comments in that thread on building a MySQL with SSL
awareness.

The comments on that page are from 2003, but the failure reports on
this list are much more recent, so for all I know, this is still the
case.  If not, let us know so we can stop warning people. :)

> How does this translate to mysql++ ?

All of the parameters mentioned in the MySQL documentation are
parameters to the SslOption object's ctor.

> Once an SSL connection is made does data automatically get encrypted/
> decrypted between the client and the server or is there something I
> must do on the client to encrypt data before sending it to the
> server and decrypt data before receiving it from the server ?

The whole point of SSL is that it's an encrypted channel for an
arbitrary TCP connection.  That's why they renamed it TLS: Transport
Layer (i.e. TCP) Security.
Thread
SSL connectionsEdward Diener13 Dec
  • Re: SSL connectionsWarren Young14 Dec
    • Re: SSL connectionsEdward Diener15 Dec