List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick Gutleber Date:November 11 2008 11:54pm
Subject:Re: insertfrom( ) questions
View as plain text
Warren Young wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2008, at 8:56 AM, Rick Gutleber wrote:
>
> It should be universal by now, but it isn't.  I was using editors back
> in my DOS days that could do this, but it seems like half these spiffy
> GUI IDEs I have to use can't.  Grrr...

I don't think there's a specific feature for it in Multi-edit, but it
was easy enough to write a macro for it.  I don't care about having
every whiz-bang feature imaginable if there's a half-decent macro
capability.

>> For diffs I use this:
>> alias svndiff='svn diff --diff-cmd /usr/bin/diff --extensions
>> '\''--expand-tabs --ignore-all-space --ignore-blank-lines
>> --ignore-space-change --minimal'\'' '
>
> Hey, cool!  I've been wishing for 'svn diff -w' since starting with
> svn, and didn't see that I could get the feature externally.  I'll
> stick with 'svn diff' for day to day use, since I still want to know
> about whitespace changes, but I've now got an sdw alias for when I
> need to see past them:
>
>     alias sdw='svn diff --diff-cmd /usr/bin/diff --extensions -bdtuwB'
>
> I added -u.  I really like unified diffs.

Glad I could help.  The default svn diff really turned me off enough to
figure out an alternative.  Of course, svn is so superior to cvs in so
many other ways it's not funny.

>> *Yes, I'm still wedded to doing editing in a Windows program, I've
>> been using it since 1988, back when it was a simple DOS program
>> written in Turbo Pascal, sorry, I've got too much momentum to get
>> serious about learning vi for more than the basics.
>
> I'm the same way about vi...which I've been using since before I got
> into DOS.  :)

I'm getting comfortable with vi for any non-rigorous editing, but I
still like a more "modern" modeless style for most things.  Of course, I
recognize vi's superior design, but my attitude is not (yet) hard-core
enough to really learn it.

Really if I can throw in a few WordStar key-mappings, I'm happy with
most editors, but I definitely take advantage of any customization I
can.  For instance, I never bought into "black on white is easier on the
eyes".  It's definitely not.  It's too much trouble to change for most
software, but when I'm editing code, I need black.  Preferably with
green text.

Thread
insertfrom( ) questionsRick Gutleber7 Nov
  • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsWarren Young8 Nov
    • 'result' is not a member of mysqlppJJ Harrison8 Nov
      • Re: 'result' is not a member of mysqlppWarren Young8 Nov
    • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsRick Gutleber10 Nov
      • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsWarren Young11 Nov
        • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsRick Gutleber11 Nov
          • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsWarren Young11 Nov
            • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsRick Gutleber12 Nov
    • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsRick Gutleber13 Nov
      • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsWarren Young13 Nov
        • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsRick Gutleber13 Nov
          • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsWarren Young13 Nov
  • RE: insertfrom( ) questionsIan Daysh11 Nov
    • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsJim Graf11 Nov