List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:November 10 2008 11:33pm
Subject:Re: insertfrom( ) questions
View as plain text
Rick Gutleber wrote:
> Ah, tabs, the bane of my existence, which is why I made a point to never
> use them about, oh, 20 years ago.

I'd be happier using spaces if the editors I used would treat them
exactly like tabs. :)  Some editors the kids are using these days don't
quite get how to do this.  If it takes me 4 keystrokes to cursor through
an indent level, I'm back to tabs.

> I realized there were whitespace
> changes in the patch, some of which seemed to have been caused by
> trailing white space on lines (which I have my editor set to strip) in
> addition to tabs vs. spaces.  I redid my changes to eliminate some of
> it, but should have done more.

It can be tricky to back such changes out, because it isn't obvious what
whitespace is needed to pacify svn's diff.

I find that the simplest method is to make a copy of the patch file,
revert your changes, hand-hack the patch to remove the unwanted change
lines, and reapply it.  The hard part is not breaking the patch, which
is why you keep a pristine copy.  Do this enough times and you figure
out what's precious to patch(1) and what isn't.

> I also wasn't sure what the convention was because mysql++.bkl didn't
> have tabs (actually it has a couple, but mostly not).

Fixed.

I said "documentation" above, but it's really more general than that.  I
use spaces, size 2 indents, for HTML or anything XMLish, due to the high
levels of indenting you often get.

 > I suppose I should have just asked.

I'll put it in HACKERS.txt
Thread
insertfrom( ) questionsRick Gutleber7 Nov
  • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsWarren Young8 Nov
    • 'result' is not a member of mysqlppJJ Harrison8 Nov
      • Re: 'result' is not a member of mysqlppWarren Young8 Nov
    • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsRick Gutleber10 Nov
      • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsWarren Young11 Nov
        • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsRick Gutleber11 Nov
          • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsWarren Young11 Nov
            • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsRick Gutleber12 Nov
    • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsRick Gutleber13 Nov
      • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsWarren Young13 Nov
        • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsRick Gutleber13 Nov
          • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsWarren Young13 Nov
  • RE: insertfrom( ) questionsIan Daysh11 Nov
    • Re: insertfrom( ) questionsJim Graf11 Nov