List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick Gutleber Date:October 28 2008 8:26pm
Subject:Re: Insert policy design question
View as plain text
Warren Young wrote:
> WARNING: this is a niggly detail post.

No problem.  I'm a niggly detail person myself.

>>    inline ~DefaultInsertPolicy() {
>
> I'm not wild about things like 'inline' and 'register' in code that
> doesn't have critical performance requirements.  I trust the
> compiler's optimizer.  As has been stated many, many times, MySQL++ is
> never the bottleneck.

No problem.  Old habit.  I guess this means the inline assembly is
probably not called for...

> Also, inline couples a library to the executable, which can prevent
> you from upgrading the library without recompiling the executable.
> The same can be said of templates, but we use templates in MySQL++
> only where they are necessary.  inline isn't necessary.
>
>>    inline void startQuery() {
>
> MySQL++ uses all-lowercase with underscores for member functions.  I'm
> not wild about it, but we can't go changing it now.

Sure you can.  I don't think it will break too many things.  ;-)

Seriously, I'll change everything to conform.  In my own code, I'm very
niggly about these sorts of things, including things like:  all function
names are verbs (or verb-object)), and very precise formatting.  I'm
more than happy to conform to anything you want.

>>    template <class SSQLS>
>>    bool canAdd(const SSQLS & object) const {
>
> I wouldn't use SSQLS as a template parameter name.  insertfrom()
> should work with vector<Row>, too.  RowT, maybe?

Good point.  I changed it.

>>    Transaction transaction(*conn_);
>
> Thank you.  I feared I was going to see some raw SQL here for this. :)

C'mon, man, give me SOME credit...   ;-)

Thread
Insert policy design questionRick Gutleber27 Oct
Re: Insert policy design questionRick Gutleber27 Oct
  • Re: Insert policy design questionDrew M.27 Oct
    • Re: Insert policy design questionWarren Young27 Oct
      • Re: Insert policy design questionRick Gutleber28 Oct
        • Re: Insert policy design questionWarren Young28 Oct
          • Re: Insert policy design questionRick Gutleber28 Oct
            • Re: Insert policy design questionWarren Young28 Oct
              • Re: Insert policy design questionRick Gutleber28 Oct
                • Re: Insert policy design questionWarren Young28 Oct
                  • Re: Insert policy design questionRick Gutleber29 Oct
                    • SVN down?Rick Gutleber6 Nov
                      • Re: SVN down?Warren Young6 Nov
                  • Query::tellp( )Rick Gutleber29 Oct
                    • Re: Query::tellp( )Warren Young29 Oct
    • Re: Insert policy design questionRick Gutleber27 Oct
      • Re: Insert policy design questionDrew M.28 Oct