List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:October 27 2008 8:58pm
Subject:Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiency
View as plain text
Russell Robinson wrote:

> Warren pointed out that Null is not a transparent wrapper,
> however, the SSQLS code works fine for all types, including Text, except
> Blobs.

I didn't mean to imply that this can't or shouldn't be fixed.  I was
just pointing out why it doesn't work *yet*.

To make Null<> truly transparent, we need to add a lot of wrappers to it
to call functions of the same name on the underlying data object.  I've
added a Wishlist item to do this at least for the std::string interface.

> I've followed the instructions from SVN in HACKERS.txt.

Yes, and beautifully so.  I wish all patches I received were this clean.

This fix will appear in v3.0.7.

> I've created a 12th unit test which won't compile without the patch being
> applied.  WIth the patch applied, the new unit test compiles and executes OK.

test/* is for individual unit tests, which don't need to access the DB.
  Anything that needs to access the DB or exercises multiple units
acting in concert goes in examples/*.  (This is really just a single
criterion: anything that accesses the DB necessarily tests multiple
units at once.)  You can think of examples/* as integration tests.  I'll
put this in HACKERS.txt.

If you did want a unit test for this, it should look like
test/string.cpp: just test data integrity of an SSQLS in the face of
construction, assignment, and data conversion.

What your test did is better done as modifications to load_jpeg and
cgi_jpeg, which I've done.  You might look the new versions over to see
that they're testing what you need them to.

> There are no changes to the bmark.txt output - it doesn't count the number of
> unit tests or their output, apparently.

Right.  test/* is supposed to run silently on success.  This is another
difference between it and examples/*.
Thread
Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyRussell Robinson27 Oct
  • Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyRussell Robinson27 Oct
  • Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyWarren Young27 Oct
    • Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyRussell Robinson27 Oct
      • Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyWarren Young28 Oct
        • Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyRussell Robinson28 Oct
        • Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyRussell Robinson28 Oct
          • Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyRussell Robinson28 Oct
            • Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyRussell Robinson28 Oct
              • Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyWarren Young28 Oct
                • Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyRussell Robinson28 Oct
                  • Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyRussell Robinson28 Oct
                    • Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyWarren Young29 Oct
                      • Re: Patch for ssqls null blob deficiencyRussell Robinson29 Oct