List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bernard Date:July 25 2008 1:41am
Subject:Re: Beta testers wanted for new Windows installer
View as plain text
I downloaded and ran the new installer.

It seems to have worked, I used the Install in versioned directory
option and it created a new folder called 3.0.4 with two sub folders:

include and vc2005, the vc2005 has two sub folders Debug and Release
with the dll and lib file copied into them.

I am not sure which versions of the dll and libs it copied as I have two
separate builds the standard build and a Windows Forms version (compiled
with /clr).

Warren Young wrote:
> install.bat sux, primarily because batch files suck.
>
> So, I've been looking a technology I could use to replace it that was
> powerful enough to let me make a smarter installer, but which wasn't
> overkill.  I wasn't willing to use anything that required a
> compilation step, for example.  And I wanted a GUI, if at all possible.
>
> Turns out, there's something built into Windows since at least the
> Win2K days that does this: HTML Applications.  Kinda like Adobe AIR,
> only with, like, an 8 year head start.  (The fable of the tortoise and
> the hare comes to mind at this point.)  HTA isn't as powerful as AIR,
> but it's just about ideal for this.
>
> The new installer works here, but I'd like to have a few people test
> it on their systems before I release it as part of MySQL++ v3.0.5.
> You can download the current version here:
>
>     http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/mysqlpp/trunk/install.hta?view=auto
>
> Copy it to the directory you unpacked MySQL++ into, and just
> double-click it to run it.  Operation should be self-explanatory.
> It's just a text file (a variant of HTML, actually) so you can open it
> and see how it works.  The only tricky bit is that it uses an ActiveX
> object to do the file operations:
>
>     http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6kxy1a51.aspx
>
> It *could* totally roach your hard drive.  Caveat hacker.

Thread
Beta testers wanted for new Windows installerWarren Young23 Jul
  • Re: Beta testers wanted for new Windows installerBernard25 Jul
    • Re: Beta testers wanted for new Windows installerWarren Young26 Jul
      • Re: Re: Beta testers wanted for new Windows installerBernard27 Jul
        • Re: Beta testers wanted for new Windows installerWarren Young27 Jul