List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:July 23 2008 2:59am
Subject:Beta testers wanted for new Windows installer
View as plain text
MySQL++'s install.bat sux, primarily because batch files suck.

So, I've been looking a technology I could use to replace it that was
powerful enough to let me make a smarter installer, but which wasn't
overkill.  I wasn't willing to use anything that required a compilation
step, for example.  And I wanted a GUI, if at all possible.

Turns out, there's something built into Windows since at least the Win2K
days that does this: HTML Applications.  Kinda like Adobe AIR, only
with, like, an 8 year head start.  (The fable of the tortoise and the
hare comes to mind at this point.)  HTA isn't as powerful as AIR, but
it's just about ideal for this.

The new installer works here, but I'd like to have a few people test it
on their systems before I release it as part of MySQL++ v3.0.5.  You can
download the current version here:

	http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/mysqlpp/trunk/install.hta?view=auto

Copy it to the directory you unpacked MySQL++ into, and just
double-click it to run it.  Operation should be self-explanatory.  It's
just a text file (a variant of HTML, actually) so you can open it and
see how it works.  The only tricky bit is that it uses an ActiveX object
to do the file operations:

	http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6kxy1a51.aspx

It *could* totally roach your hard drive.  Caveat hacker.
Thread
Beta testers wanted for new Windows installerWarren Young23 Jul
  • Re: Beta testers wanted for new Windows installerBernard25 Jul
    • Re: Beta testers wanted for new Windows installerWarren Young26 Jul
      • Re: Re: Beta testers wanted for new Windows installerBernard27 Jul
        • Re: Beta testers wanted for new Windows installerWarren Young27 Jul