List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:William Pettersson Date:July 9 2008 10:39am
Subject:Duplicating tables - mysqldump or mysqlpp or?
View as plain text
Hi all,
The short and dirty question:
I need to replicate 3-4 tables over a network from a remote MySQL
database to a local MySQL database, from within a (Visual) C++ app.  My
choices as I see them are
a) Use mysql++, query the remote database first, retrieve all data, then
reinsert into the local database using mysql++
b) Just call mysqldump as a shell program.
Which would you guys suggest?  Of note is the fact that how long it
takes me to write is important, so if the mysql++ way is going to take
longer (which it may, don't know how easily I can convert SELECT output
into an INSERT statement) then I'd prefer to stick with mysqldump.

Long summary:
For this project, I have a main DB server, and a remote handheld (eeepc)
client.  The eeepc needs to query a serial device (RFID reader), check
some stuff in the database and show some info.  The thing is, the eeepc
won't always have a network connection.  Actually, it rarely will.  So
what I need to do is synchronise two databases, remote and local, and
then just have my app query the local database.
I've got the app itself working, and querying the local database, so I
just need to work on the synchronising bit.  I can either use mysqldump
(easy, dirty shell command), or pull info in with mysql++, rewrite the
output as an insert statement, and then reinsert with mysql++.  I don't
want to waste too much time, so if mysql++ method is going to be too
hard, I'll just fall back to mysqldump.

Thanks,
--
William Pettersson

NLT Australia
Duplicating tables - mysqldump or mysqlpp or?William Pettersson9 Jul
  • Re: Duplicating tables - mysqldump or mysqlpp or?Warren Young9 Jul
  • Re: Duplicating tables - mysqldump or mysqlpp or?Jonathan Wakely9 Jul
  • RE: Duplicating tables - mysqldump or mysqlpp or?Paul Martin9 Jul
Re: Duplicating tables - mysqldump or mysqlpp or?William Pettersson9 Jul