List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:O. Baum Date:April 29 2008 9:55am
Subject:Re: Compiling under Win32 as Multithreaded-Non-DLL?
View as plain text
Hi again,

in the last days I did some extensive investigations on my problem.

Let me first mention some facts about /MT and /MD and DLL creation:
* It is normally no problem to create a DLL compiled with /MT.
* The EXE which uses this DLL *should* be then also compiled with /MT
to prevent strange effects from happening. These effects are described
here <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235460.aspx>.
* A DLL interface can be designed in a way these effects do not occur.

HOWEVER, one will run into a huge linkage problem IF one compiles a
DLL with /MT AND the DLL interface contains classes which are derived
from C(++)-std-lib's classes (like std::string, std::ostream etc.).
Exactly this is the case in MySQL++: The Query class is derived from
std::ostream, which leads to linkage errors LNK2005 and LNK1169 when
trying to link the MySQL++ DLL with the main program's EXE.
(All links and works correctly if all is compiled with /MD.)

Could anybody help me please?
I am not able to compile my main program's EXE with /MD, because I
need to link MFC statically.
I cannot compile MySQL++ with /MT because then the described "strange
effects" (including corrupt stack, crash when calling CDateTime::str()
etc.) occur.

When I link MySQL++ statically all works, but this is not allowed due
to LGPL restrictions.

Thank you for help in advance!

With best regards,

   O. Baum

2008/4/22 O. Baum <oli.b@stripped>:
> Hi all,
>
>  is it possible to compile the MySQL++ library so I can use it in an
>  application that needs to be built as "MFC in a static library" and
>  "Multithreaded (/MT)"?
>
>  My build environment: MS VC 7.1.6030 (VS2003), WinXP, MySQL 5.0.58 commercial.
>
>  My problem:
>  If I compile MySQL++ as "Multithreaded DLL (/MD)" it does not link
>  with my application (getting lots of unresolved externals linker
>  errors of STL stuff like
>  ---8<--------------
>  error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol '"__declspec(dllimport)
>  public: void __thiscall std::basic_ostream<char,struct
>  std::char_traits<char> >::_Osfx(void)"
>  (__imp_?_Osfx@?$basic_ostream@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@@std@@QAEXXZ)',
>  used in function '"public: __thiscall std::basic_ostream<char,struct
>  std::char_traits<char> >::sentry::~sentry(void)"
>  (??1sentry@?$basic_ostream@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@@std@@QAE@XZ)'
>  --->8--------------
>  ).
>
>  If I compile MySQL++ as "Multithreaded (/MT)" it links but my
>  application crashes when Calling the str() methods of Query and
>  DateTime instances when leaving the current scope.
>  You can easily verify this by compiling just the mysqlpp-Project as
>  "/MT" and add
>  ---8<--------------
>  mysqlpp::DateTime dt( 2008, 04, 22, 12, 22, 22 );
>  string qstr = dt.str();
>  cout << "test: " << dt << std::endl;
>  --->8--------------
>  to simple2.cpp.
>
>  Strangely, if I compile excommon and simple2 as "Multithreaded (/MT)"
>  it also does not link, although all should fit together in that case.
>
>  I would be very glad if anybody could shed some light on this issue(s)...
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>
>     -oli-
>    (O. Baum)
Thread
Compiling under Win32 as Multithreaded-Non-DLL?O. Baum22 Apr
  • Re: Compiling under Win32 as Multithreaded-Non-DLL?O. Baum29 Apr
    • Re: Compiling under Win32 as Multithreaded-Non-DLL?Warren Young29 Apr
    • Re: Compiling under Win32 as Multithreaded-Non-DLL?Joseph Artsimovich29 Apr
Re: Compiling under Win32 as Multithreaded-Non-DLL?O. Baum22 Apr