List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:February 12 2008 1:33am
Subject:Re: possible bug in rc3 ?
View as plain text
Thomas Werth wrote:
> mysql -u user -ppassword --ssl
> works without any problems.

 From the MySQL manual, on --ssl:

"This option is not sufficient in itself to cause an SSL connection to
be used. You must also specify the --ssl-ca option, and possibly the
--ssl-cert and --ssl-key options."

I'm not sure if having the values in my.cnf suffices, but what I am sure
about is that I tried your command here on my system, and it let me log
in without complaint.  I have *no* SSL of any kind going on on this
machine.  Clearly it's quietly falling back to plaintext if it can't do
SSL for whatever reason.

While Googling for the above, I couldn't find examples of successful
Windows SSL setups; it was all from the Unixy perspective.

The only thing I found that looks like it should work is this:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/windows-and-ssh.html

It gives the same security as SSL, but without needing special help on
the client or server side, since ssh generally Just Works (TM).  The
downside is that it's a little more involved to set up each individual
connection.  I use much this same setup to do things like accessing a
web server that's behind a firewall that only lets ssh through.  It
works beautifully, and I can second the recommendation for SecureCRT.  I
*live* in SecureCRT on my Windows machine, and have for years.  It's
just plain awesome.  I shake my head when I see people recommending
PuTTY instead...dreadful software...ptui!  If you had to have something
free, I'd recommend using Cygwin's command-line ssh over PuTTY, any day.

If you need real SSL, I suggest you take it up on the main MySQL mailing
list.  It's probably just a configuration problem somewhere.
Thread
possible bug in rc3 ?Thomas Werth7 Feb
  • Re: possible bug in rc3 ?Warren Young7 Feb
    • Re: possible bug in rc3 ?Thomas Werth8 Feb
      • Re: possible bug in rc3 ?Warren Young9 Feb
        • Re: possible bug in rc3 ?Thomas Werth11 Feb
          • Re: possible bug in rc3 ?Thomas Werth11 Feb
            • Re: possible bug in rc3 ?Warren Young12 Feb
              • Re: possible bug in rc3 ?Thomas Werth12 Feb