List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Graham Reitz Date:December 6 2007 5:19am
Subject:Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0
View as plain text
Huh weird.

I built mysql++ the following way:

make clean
./configure CXXFLAGS="-g -D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG=1 -
D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG_PEDANTIC=1" --with-mysql=/sw
make

The resulting dylib is a little less than 50% larger than the original.

I then renamed the dylib (added a _d) and copied the dylib over to
the /usr/local/lib directory and updated the Xcode project to use the
new mysql++ dylib.

I received the same assertion as before when running the debug build.

I was a little suspicious that the original dylib was getting loaded
anyways...

I then copied over the new (with _DEBUG) libmysqlpp.dylib to  /usr/
local/lib and it worked fine.

Is there something that caused the original libmysqlpp.dylib to get
loaded instead of the renamed libmysqlpp_d.dylib, even though I told
it not to in Xcode?

thanks,
graham

On Dec 5, 2007, at 10:08 PM, Graham Reitz wrote:

> Ok cool.  Thanks guys.   I will get that done Warren.
>
> It will be good experience for me.  I start vacation on the 14th and
> will get that rolling at that point.  It would be really nice to
> have Xcode project files for mysql++.  (People like me won't be able
> to do this again.)
>
> Thanks for that link Jon.  This says it all:
>
> "To use the libstdc++ debug mode, compile your application with the
> compiler flag -D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG. Note that this flag changes the
> sizes and behavior of standard class templates such as std::vector,
> and therefore you can only link code compiled with debug mode and
> code compiled without debug mode if no instantiation of a container
> is passed between the two translation units."
>
> What I wasn't aware of is that you can link debug (-g) and release
> code but not when D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG has been defined (if containers
> are passed between cpps). It seems like using D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG is a
> really good idea when debugging since it will catch improper usage
> of the stdlibc++.
>
> graham
>

> On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:56 PM, Warren Young wrote:
>
>> Graham Reitz wrote:
>>> Why doesn't mysql++ [have a special debug build mode]?
>>
>> There's no real history of such things on *ix systems, so where it
>> is done, it's done in some way particular to that system.  And, if
>> you use the Unixy command line build systems on OS X, the current
>> behavior is fine.  This is no doubt why you're the first to bring
>> this to my attention.
>>
>> Compare Visual Studio.  Almost everyone uses the IDE, not the
>> command line tools, and the IDE sets up both debug and release
>> builds for any new project.  It's both standard and the default, so
>> everyone does it.
>>
>> On OS X, what we have here are two different use cases, so they
>> should be handled separately: autoconf with no special debug modes
>> for command line geeks like me, and Xcode project files set up to
>> build both debug and release versions for folk like you.  Bakefile
>> can generate Xcode project files, so it's just a matter of using
>> them.
>>
>> I nominate you to do it. :)  Seriously.  I use OS X every day, but
>> beyond some "Hello, world" toy programs, I've never used Xcode the
>> IDE.  You're in the best position to scratch this itch.
>>
>> Xcode project support apparently goes back to 0.1.9 in Bakefile,
>> but there are reportedly big improvements in svn, so I'd recommend
>> you use that, at least to start.  Later you can roll back to 0.1.9
>> to see if it still works adequately.  I'm already of half a mind to
>> make MySQL++ v3.0 wait on Bakefile 0.2.3 to get VC2003 support.
>>
>> The v3 effort is getting close to winding up, but you've probably
>> got a few weeks at least to get something to me.
>>
>> --

Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2)Graham Reitz4 Dec
  • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz5 Dec
    • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz5 Dec
    • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0(Part 2) [SOLVED]Warren Young5 Dec
      • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Jonathan Wakely5 Dec
        • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz5 Dec
          • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Jonathan Wakely6 Dec
          • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0(Part 2) [SOLVED]Warren Young6 Dec
            • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz6 Dec
              • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz6 Dec
                • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz7 Dec
                  • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz7 Dec
                    • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz7 Dec
              • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Jonathan Wakely7 Dec
              • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0(Part 2) [SOLVED]Warren Young10 Jan
  • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2)Jonathan Wakely5 Dec