List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Graham Reitz Date:December 6 2007 4:08am
Subject:Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]
View as plain text
Ok cool.  Thanks guys.   I will get that done Warren.

It will be good experience for me.  I start vacation on the 14th and
will get that rolling at that point.  It would be really nice to have
Xcode project files for mysql++.  (People like me won't be able to do
this again.)

Thanks for that link Jon.  This says it all:

"To use the libstdc++ debug mode, compile your application with the
compiler flag -D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG. Note that this flag changes the sizes
and behavior of standard class templates such as std::vector, and
therefore you can only link code compiled with debug mode and code
compiled without debug mode if no instantiation of a container is
passed between the two translation units."

What I wasn't aware of is that you can link debug (-g) and release
code but not when D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG has been defined (if containers are
passed between cpps). It seems like using D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG is a really
good idea when debugging since it will catch improper usage of the
stdlibc++.

graham

On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:56 PM, Warren Young wrote:

> Graham Reitz wrote:
>> Why doesn't mysql++ [have a special debug build mode]?
>
> There's no real history of such things on *ix systems, so where it
> is done, it's done in some way particular to that system.  And, if
> you use the Unixy command line build systems on OS X, the current
> behavior is fine.  This is no doubt why you're the first to bring
> this to my attention.
>
> Compare Visual Studio.  Almost everyone uses the IDE, not the
> command line tools, and the IDE sets up both debug and release
> builds for any new project.  It's both standard and the default, so
> everyone does it.
>
> On OS X, what we have here are two different use cases, so they
> should be handled separately: autoconf with no special debug modes
> for command line geeks like me, and Xcode project files set up to
> build both debug and release versions for folk like you.  Bakefile
> can generate Xcode project files, so it's just a matter of using them.
>
> I nominate you to do it. :)  Seriously.  I use OS X every day, but
> beyond some "Hello, world" toy programs, I've never used Xcode the
> IDE.  You're in the best position to scratch this itch.
>
> Xcode project support apparently goes back to 0.1.9 in Bakefile, but
> there are reportedly big improvements in svn, so I'd recommend you
> use that, at least to start.  Later you can roll back to 0.1.9 to
> see if it still works adequately.  I'm already of half a mind to
> make MySQL++ v3.0 wait on Bakefile 0.2.3 to get VC2003 support.
>
> The v3 effort is getting close to winding up, but you've probably
> got a few weeks at least to get something to me.

Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2)Graham Reitz4 Dec
  • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz5 Dec
    • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz5 Dec
    • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0(Part 2) [SOLVED]Warren Young5 Dec
      • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Jonathan Wakely5 Dec
        • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz5 Dec
          • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Jonathan Wakely6 Dec
          • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0(Part 2) [SOLVED]Warren Young6 Dec
            • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz6 Dec
              • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz6 Dec
                • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz7 Dec
                  • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz7 Dec
                    • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz7 Dec
              • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Jonathan Wakely7 Dec
              • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0(Part 2) [SOLVED]Warren Young10 Jan
  • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2)Jonathan Wakely5 Dec