List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:December 6 2007 12:56am
Subject:Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0
(Part 2) [SOLVED]
View as plain text
Graham Reitz wrote:

> Why doesn't mysql++ [have a special debug build mode]?

There's no real history of such things on *ix systems, so where it is
done, it's done in some way particular to that system.  And, if you use
the Unixy command line build systems on OS X, the current behavior is
fine.  This is no doubt why you're the first to bring this to my attention.

Compare Visual Studio.  Almost everyone uses the IDE, not the command
line tools, and the IDE sets up both debug and release builds for any
new project.  It's both standard and the default, so everyone does it.

On OS X, what we have here are two different use cases, so they should
be handled separately: autoconf with no special debug modes for command
line geeks like me, and Xcode project files set up to build both debug
and release versions for folk like you.  Bakefile can generate Xcode
project files, so it's just a matter of using them.

I nominate you to do it. :)  Seriously.  I use OS X every day, but
beyond some "Hello, world" toy programs, I've never used Xcode the IDE.
  You're in the best position to scratch this itch.

Xcode project support apparently goes back to 0.1.9 in Bakefile, but
there are reportedly big improvements in svn, so I'd recommend you use
that, at least to start.  Later you can roll back to 0.1.9 to see if it
still works adequately.  I'm already of half a mind to make MySQL++ v3.0
wait on Bakefile 0.2.3 to get VC2003 support.

The v3 effort is getting close to winding up, but you've probably got a
few weeks at least to get something to me.
Thread
Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2)Graham Reitz4 Dec
  • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz5 Dec
    • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz5 Dec
    • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0(Part 2) [SOLVED]Warren Young5 Dec
      • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Jonathan Wakely5 Dec
        • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz5 Dec
          • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Jonathan Wakely6 Dec
          • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0(Part 2) [SOLVED]Warren Young6 Dec
            • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz6 Dec
              • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz6 Dec
                • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz7 Dec
                  • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz7 Dec
                    • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz7 Dec
              • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Jonathan Wakely7 Dec
              • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0(Part 2) [SOLVED]Warren Young10 Jan
  • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2)Jonathan Wakely5 Dec