List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jonathan Wakely Date:December 5 2007 11:02pm
Subject:Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]
View as plain text
On 05/12/2007, Graham Reitz <grahamreitz@stripped> wrote:

> I thought, since mysql++ doesn't come with a debug build, that it
> shouldn't matter.  Whose going to write an application and not use
> debug mode for at least a little while?
>
> Is the intention when using the mysql++ dylibs that we will never need
> to build in debug mode?  I am a little confused here.  I know with the
> boost libs the default build creates both the debug and release libs.

What Boost builds are libraries with debug symbols, for use with a
debugger. You usually request this from the compiler with -g. This is
very different from compiling with a checked STL, such as GCC's Debug
Mode. Very different indeed.
AFAIK Boost does not build libs with GCC's Debug Mode turned on, I
used to test Boost and GCC using the debug mode and had to enable it
specifically.
I didn't realise Xcode turns it on for "debug builds" - usually that
would just mean -g to me (some compilers will also do no optimisations
for debug builds, but GCC supports -O and -g at the same time.)

Jon
Thread
Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2)Graham Reitz4 Dec
  • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz5 Dec
    • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz5 Dec
    • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0(Part 2) [SOLVED]Warren Young5 Dec
      • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Jonathan Wakely5 Dec
        • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz5 Dec
          • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Jonathan Wakely6 Dec
          • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0(Part 2) [SOLVED]Warren Young6 Dec
            • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Graham Reitz6 Dec
              • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz6 Dec
                • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz7 Dec
                  • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz7 Dec
                    • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0Graham Reitz7 Dec
              • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2) [SOLVED]Jonathan Wakely7 Dec
              • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0(Part 2) [SOLVED]Warren Young10 Jan
  • Re: Release works, Debug (still) crashes on OS X Leopard, Xcode 3.0 (Part 2)Jonathan Wakely5 Dec