List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:October 22 2007 10:48pm
Subject:Re: MySQL++ and Gentoo
View as plain text
Daniel wrote:
> How can I get MySQL++ to work with g++ in gentoo with little to no effort?

Maybe Chris Frey (maintainer of the .ebuild file for MySQL++) is reading
this and can tell you why it doesn't work out of the box.

Until you work that out, it might be easier to just download the tarball
from http://tangentsoft.net/mysql++/ instead.

> mysql # g++ ./simple1.cpp -o ./simple1

A command that simple isn't likely to work with any program much more
complex than "Hello, World!"

MySQL++ programs, as is true for almost everything nontrivial, must be
linked to additional libraries to work.  Any MySQL++ program needs at
least two: MySQL++ itself (-lmysqlpp) and the underlying MySQL C API
library (-lmysql).

The examples also require a convenience library that abstracts away some
details that aren't important.  But, you shouldn't have to care about
this, because you should be using the distributed Makefiles to build the
examples, not trying to build them directly.  Read README.unix.

Also, there's no need to build MySQL++ (or most anything else) as root.

> ./simple1.cpp:1:18: error: util.h: No such file or directory

This is the convenience library's header.  Again, you wouldn't have to
know this if you'd use the distributed Makefiles, because they pass the
correct -I flag to the compiler to fix this.

> ./simple1.cpp:3:21: error: mysql++.h: No such file or directory

MySQL++ is either not installed yet, or it's installed in a location
your compiler can't guess on its own.  You need some -I and -L flags,
which again are taken care of by the Makefiles.

> mysql # emerge -s mysql++
> Searching...
> [ Results for search key : mysql++ ]
> [ Applications found : 1 ]
>
> *  dev-db/mysql++
>       Latest version available: 2.2.2-r1

This is about 6 months old.  If Chris Frey isn't going to update it,
maybe you'd be willing to take this package over?
Thread
MySQL++ and GentooDaniel22 Oct
  • Re: MySQL++ and GentooWarren Young23 Oct
    • Re: MySQL++ and GentooMichael Hanselmann23 Oct
      • Re: MySQL++ and GentooDaniel23 Oct
        • Re: MySQL++ and GentooWarren Young24 Oct
      • Re: MySQL++ and GentooWarren Young24 Oct
        • Re: MySQL++ and GentooMichael Hanselmann24 Oct
          • Re: MySQL++ and GentooChris Frey23 May
            • Re: MySQL++ and GentooWarren Young27 Nov