List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:August 20 2007 7:09pm
Subject:Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer template
View as plain text
Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> there's a race on the memory allocation in ResUse::field_types(int).

I'm pretty sure the whole create-on-demand strategy used with FieldNames
and FieldTypes is a crock, but I haven't put in the time to prove it
yet.  Aside from the thread safety implications, it means you have to
test the pointer all the time to be sure it's allocated, and if not,
repeat the allocation code inline.  Bleh.

At *minimum* we need to hide the pointer behind an accessor that wraps
all this.  If we can just allocate it on object creation without
horrible consequences, so much the better.
Thread
Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young15 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateChris Frey15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateAlex Burton15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJoseph Artsimovich15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJonathan Wakely16 Aug
      • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
        • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJonathan Wakely18 Aug
          • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJonathan Wakely18 Aug
          • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young20 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • RE: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJoel Fielder15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateRobert Mecklenburg15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateGraham Reitz15 Aug