List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:August 16 2007 9:57am
Subject:Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer template
View as plain text
Joel Fielder wrote:
> I'd like to see use of Boost.  The main argument against it was with
> people struggling to build it before using mysql++, but the smart
> pointer library is headers only - you don't have to build it, just set
> the include path.

I'm not sure that completely solves all the objections to Boost.  The
perception is that Boost is a massive beast, whether you have to deal
with jam or not.

People being people, this objection would go away if Boost were just
always there, installed everywhere by default.  Look at IE, for example:
the last time I actually went and downloaded the whole thing from
Microsoft in a single big file (as opposed to the tiny network installer
they push you toward) it was several dozen MB.  I think if this was the
only way to get IE, it'd be an insignificant minority browser on that
account alone.  This is not rational, it's just human nature.

We can avoid the "116 MB dependency" problem by cherry-picking Boost
headers and putting them into MySQL++'s tree, but it has problems of its
own.  We discussed this a while back.
Thread
Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young15 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateChris Frey15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateAlex Burton15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJoseph Artsimovich15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJonathan Wakely16 Aug
      • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
        • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJonathan Wakely18 Aug
          • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJonathan Wakely18 Aug
          • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young20 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • RE: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJoel Fielder15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateRobert Mecklenburg15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateGraham Reitz15 Aug