List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Graham Reitz Date:August 15 2007 3:38pm
Subject:Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer template
View as plain text
> And yes, I am aware that this wheel has already been invented.
> It's in Boost, for instance, but the last time I brought up the
> possibility of making Boost a dependency of MySQL++, it was shot
> down so violently that the detritus from the explosion settled in a
> thin even layer of powdery ash over six counties.

That's really unfortunate.  Are the same people that shot this down
so violently last time going to use smart pointers in TR1 and C++
0x?  Or just ignore them?  They are, in fact, derived directly from
boost.  Why not leverage all the testing that has been performed in
boost and use its smart pointers?

Warren should be free to work on the important portions of mysql++
like ssqls instead of something that has very little to do with the
mysql++ library.

Thanks,
Graham

On Aug 15, 2007, at 1:27 AM, Warren Young wrote:

> Smart pointers are tricky, and automatic memory management is even
> trickier, and I just created a template that does both.  I swapped
> it in for existing code in MySQL++ that used value semantics and it
> passes the test suite, but I'd still appreciate someone else taking
> a look at it.
>
> http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/mysqlpp/trunk/lib/refcounted.h?view=markup
>
> This is part of a general effort toward improving the way MySQL++
> handles memory and object copies.
>
> The particular need that sparked the creation of this template is
> that in released MySQL++ versions, you cannot use a Row object
> after the Result/ResUse object that created it is destroyed or
> reused itself. This doesn't seem to catch too many newbies, but we
> do see it from time to time.
>
> I built a similar, but more primitive, mechanism last week for
> ColData, which should improve performance of field access greatly:
> v2.3 copied each field two or three times on every access, because
> it had to do everything with value semantics to avoid similar
> problems to the one described above.  I hope to move ColData's
> buffer management to this new template, but I'm not yet certain how
> it's going to work yet.
>
> And yes, I am aware that this wheel has already been invented.
> It's in Boost, for instance, but the last time I brought up the
> possibility of making Boost a dependency of MySQL++, it was shot
> down so violently that the detritus from the explosion settled in a
> thin even layer of powdery ash over six counties.

Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young15 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateChris Frey15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateAlex Burton15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJoseph Artsimovich15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJonathan Wakely16 Aug
      • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
        • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJonathan Wakely18 Aug
          • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJonathan Wakely18 Aug
          • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young20 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • RE: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJoel Fielder15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateRobert Mecklenburg15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateGraham Reitz15 Aug