List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joel Fielder Date:August 15 2007 9:30am
Subject:RE: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer template
View as plain text
Warren Young wrote:
> And yes, I am aware that this wheel has already been invented.  It's
in
> Boost, for instance, but the last time I brought up the possibility of

> making Boost a dependency of MySQL++, it was shot down so violently
that
> the detritus from the explosion settled in a thin even layer of
powdery
> ash over six counties.

I'd like to see use of Boost.  The main argument against it was with
people struggling to build it before using mysql++, but the smart
pointer library is headers only - you don't have to build it, just set
the include path.  Ditto with boost::optional<T> which could provide
"field can be NULL or a value" functionality in the same way as
mysqlpp::Null<T>.  I can't speak for whether it's a simple replacement
but it's certainly the same concept.

Joel

Thread
Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young15 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateChris Frey15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateAlex Burton15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJoseph Artsimovich15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJonathan Wakely16 Aug
      • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
        • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJonathan Wakely18 Aug
          • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJonathan Wakely18 Aug
          • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young20 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • RE: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateJoel Fielder15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateWarren Young16 Aug
  • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateRobert Mecklenburg15 Aug
    • Re: Eyeballs needed on new reference counted pointer templateGraham Reitz15 Aug