List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Graham Reitz Date:August 15 2007 1:38am
Subject:Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_increment
View as plain text
Warren,

Wow man, there is no reason for this.

You're obviously upset about something other than 'just' my comments.

I hope that whatever is going on in your life improves.  Something as
minor as this isn't worth getting this worked up over.

> Plain old criticism is "X sux."  Constructive criticism is "X sux,
> but you can fix it with Y,"

I would politely disagree here.  There is nothing wrong criticism by
itself.  I think we would both agree that comments like, "Your
library sux," is completely inappropriate and definitely not
constructive, but that didn't happen here.

Kindly,
Graham

On Aug 14, 2007, at 5:11 PM, Warren Young wrote:

> [...]
>
> Learn binary search, love binary search.
>
>> Compile time errors are always more desirable than segmentation
>> faults.
>
> None of what I wrote was related to your uninitialized variable
> segfault issue.  That's a pure bug report, and is totally fine.
>
> We're talking about design errors here, not plain ol' bugs.  The
> distinction is this: if fixing it requires changing an interface,
> it's a design error.  I can fix this problem inside the ColData
> class itself. It's just a bug.
>
>> If blob types need to be initialized ahead of time the compiler
>> should indicate that requirement, not a seg. fault.
>
> No, a default-initialized ColData should have reasonable defaults,
> so when you access it, it doesn't blow up on you.
>
>> 2) It is common to have tables > 50 columns in length.
>
> Sigh...proof by assertion.
>
> The question was, "what kind of design requires this?"  The only
> way you can answer that to my satisfaction is to show me your
> schema, and defend it.  If you're not willing to do that, that's
> fine.  I will just go on believing that it's probably wrong, due to
> lack of evidence to the contrary.
>
>> 3) The need to use the MYSQLPP_SSQLS_NO_STATICS macro is undesirable
>
> ....and you would do what instead?
>
>> 4) Using namespaces to workaround an issue with auto increment fields
>
> You must not have understood my reply to Jim, or didn't read it.
> Go read it [again].
>
> It tells you that you can have two SSQLSes in the same namespace
> for the same table, with different C++ structure names.
>
>> 5) Exceptions might be overused, depending upon the author's
>> definition of what is an exceptional circumstance.
>
> You're acknowledging that this is a taste issue, so the only change
> that can satisfy more than just yourself would be something like a
> pluggable exception policy framework.  And if that's the solution,
> I have only one response: patches thoughtfully considered.
>
>> Any library even the c++ standard libraries should be able to and
>> eager to receive criticism from time to time.  It is not a
>> personal attack in any sense.  I am sorry if it seemed that way.
>
> No, actually, plain old criticism never receives a warm welcome,
> not anywhere, from anyone.  This fact of human interaction is so
> basic that most people figure it out before they leave elementary
> school.
>
> What is welcome is *constructive* criticism.
>
> Plain old criticism is "X sux."  Constructive criticism is "X sux,
> but you can fix it with Y," where Y is more than just a buzzword.
> In the context of MySQL++, Y needs to be an actual design, if not a
> code patch.
>
> The closest thing to constructive criticism you've offered so far
> amounted to "fix it with RAII".  This is about as helpful as
> answering "wash more often and stop copulating" when asked what to
> do about the African health crisis.
>
> If you want to be helpful, you're going to have to offer more than

Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz9 Aug
  • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz9 Aug
    • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz9 Aug
      • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz9 Aug
        • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Warren Young9 Aug
          • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz11 Aug
          • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz11 Aug
            • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz11 Aug
              • Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz11 Aug
                • RE: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementJim Wallace12 Aug
                  • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz12 Aug
                  • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz12 Aug
                    • RE: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementJim Wallace12 Aug
                      • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz12 Aug
                      • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementWarren Young14 Aug
              • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Warren Young28 Dec
Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz14 Aug
  • RE: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementJoel Fielder14 Aug
    • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz14 Aug
  • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementWarren Young15 Aug
    • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz15 Aug
      • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementWarren Young16 Aug
        • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz17 Aug
    • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz15 Aug