List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Graham Reitz Date:August 14 2007 8:19pm
Subject:Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_increment
View as plain text
No problem Joel, I understand your point.

There are different levels of suggestions.  Sometimes they come with
resolutions and sometimes they don't.  But the absence of a solution
doesn't mean suggestions or constructive criticism shouldn't be offered.

I will freely admit that I don't have a good alternative for a
different method to handle ssqls.  That is clearly a tough problem.

My suggestion for the author is to try to find a solution for ssqls
that don't involve macros.  If that can be done items #1 (macros are
tough to debug), #2 (no need for a perl script to generate the
macros), and #3 (the MYSQLPP_SSQLS_NO_STATICS should not be needed),
and #4 (no need for a workaround to #1) should go away.

Warren is clearly one of the experts and his help has been
appreciated.  The intent was not to aggravate him or any other mysql+
+ developer.  I hope that's understood.  I'll make an effort to be
gentler with suggestions and criticisms.

Thanks,
Graham

On Aug 14, 2007, at 2:41 AM, Joel Fielder wrote:

> Graham Reitz wrote:
>> Any library even the c++ standard libraries should be able to and
>> eager to receive criticism from time to time.
>
> Just a general comment, I think everyone knows that there's stuff that
> can be done better (particularly Warren as he's pretty much the only
> active developer).  Of more use would be *how* we can make things
> better
> rather than simply listing *what* we've done wrong.  How would you
> solve
> each problem you've highlighted?
>
> I hate clichés, but "don't bring me a problem unless you've got a
> solution" would seem to summarise my point more than adequately!
> (Yes,
> I can see you suggested RAII for blob, I'm just making a general
> point).
>
> Joel

Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz9 Aug
  • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz9 Aug
    • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz9 Aug
      • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz9 Aug
        • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Warren Young9 Aug
          • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz11 Aug
          • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz11 Aug
            • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Graham Reitz11 Aug
              • Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz11 Aug
                • RE: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementJim Wallace12 Aug
                  • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz12 Aug
                  • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz12 Aug
                    • RE: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementJim Wallace12 Aug
                      • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz12 Aug
                      • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementWarren Young14 Aug
              • Re: Query insert() Seg Faulting using SSQLS, not sure why...Warren Young28 Dec
Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz14 Aug
  • RE: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementJoel Fielder14 Aug
    • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz14 Aug
  • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementWarren Young15 Aug
    • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz15 Aug
      • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementWarren Young16 Aug
        • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz17 Aug
    • Re: Inserting with a column that uses auto_incrementGraham Reitz15 Aug