List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeff Huston Date:August 3 2007 7:57pm
Subject:Re: failing row[] assignment
View as plain text
"I don't know why you're playing documentation lawyer but overlooking the
bit right above that where it says not to use get_string().  I didn't advise
you to use it, and I won't advise you to use it. "

Actually I was just providing you with one poor response to use in place of
your first poor response.  I'm sticking with my initial type casts. :op

Good day!

>From: Warren Young <mysqlpp@stripped>
>Subject: Re: failing row[] assignment
>Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:51:19 -0600
>
>Jeff Huston wrote:
>>"A static cast like that should never be required for an assignment in a
>>C++ program."
>>
>>Wouldn't it be just as easy to say, "Hey Jeff, you'd be better advised to
>>use get_string().".  Disgegarding the comment in coldata.h which says..
>>'If you know your data is a null-terminated C string, just cast this
>>object to const char *...' "  :o)
>
>I don't know why you're playing documentation lawyer but overlooking the
>bit right above that where it says not to use get_string().  I didn't
>advise you to use it, and I won't advise you to use it.
>
>>Of course I realize this is all the result of a multi person,
>>collaborative effort.
>
>Actually, it's more that by "cast" here we just mean to point out that
>ColData can convert itself to const char*, not that you must use a static
>cast to get this to happen.
>
>	ColData cd("....");
>	const char* pc = cd;
>
>I've changed this to be clearer.
>
>>Anyway, I'm sure the Don Rickle's style responses here no doubt have their
>>own appeal to the rest of the audience who actually know what they're
>>doing.  As for me... I'll quietly sink back into the shadows now. :o)
>
>This style of interaction is absolutely standard on programmers' mailing
>lists.  Open source is a meritocracy.  Post a silly question, get gently
>roasted, if not flamed.  You want to see comedic brutality in much finer
>form than is generally exhibited here, go spend some time on the Cygwin
>lists.
>
>--

A new home for Mom, no cleanup required. All starts here.

2.1.1 -> 2.3.2 ... libmysqlpp.a no longer existsJeff Huston31 Jul
  • RE: 2.1.1 -> 2.3.2 ... libmysqlpp.a no longer existsJeff Huston1 Aug
  • failing row[] assignmentJeff Huston1 Aug
    • Re: failing row[] assignmentDrew M.1 Aug
      • Re: failing row[] assignmentJeff Huston2 Aug
        • Re: failing row[] assignmentWarren Young2 Aug
          • Re: failing row[] assignmentJeff Huston3 Aug
            • Re: failing row[] assignmentWarren Young3 Aug
              • Re: failing row[] assignmentJeff Huston3 Aug
  • Re: 2.1.1 -> 2.3.2 ... libmysqlpp.a no longer existsWarren Young2 Aug
    • MySQL++ licensing (was: 2.1.1 -> 2.3.2 ... libmysqlpp.a no longerexists)Axel Howind4 Aug
      • Re: MySQL++ licensingWarren Young6 Aug
        • Re: MySQL++ licensingAxel Howind6 Aug