List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:July 14 2007 4:43am
Subject:Re: Connection::connect() interface is changing
View as plain text
Axel Howind wrote:

> We need to maintain code that runs on systems where the newest library
> versions are not yet available. This means, while making the transition,
> the code must compile under old and new versions of MySQL++ (using ugly
> #ifdefs). I am sure a change like this will slip through when the code
> compiles out of the box with the new version.

I've given up on the reordering change that can cause silent breakage.

But you must accept that I do intend to break things.  If I am not
allowed to break anything, there's no point to v3.  I've said "not until
v3" so many times over the past year or two that I'm getting quite sick
of it.  We now have a rare freedom to change things without regard to
the consequences for compatibility.  I intend to take full advantage of
this time.

> Personally, I even think it is no good to have default parameters for
> setting up connections at all: this is something where I always want the
> developper to better think twice than just proceed using the default
> values.

I can understand that to a point.  But surely you can't be in favor of
candy machine interfaces?  This one interface allows you to specify four
completely different underlying implementations.  Taking your thought to
its extreme, you need to explicitly deal with three wrong choices in
order to select the one you do want.  That's a mess.
Thread
Connection::connect() interface is changingWarren Young13 Jul
  • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingDrew M.13 Jul
    • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingWarren Young13 Jul
  • RE: Connection::connect() interface is changingYuantu.Huang13 Jul
    • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingWarren Young13 Jul
      • RE: Connection::connect() interface is changingJoel Fielder13 Jul
        • RE: Connection::connect() interface is changingWilliam F. Dowling13 Jul
        • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingWarren Young14 Jul
          • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingWarren Young14 Jul
            • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingAlex Burton15 Jul
              • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingPeter Garner15 Jul
              • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingWarren Young16 Jul
          • RE: Connection::connect() interface is changingJoel Fielder16 Jul
            • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingWarren Young16 Jul
              • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingAxel Howind16 Jul
                • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingWarren Young16 Jul
  • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingAxel Howind13 Jul
    • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingWarren Young14 Jul
      • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingAxel Howind16 Jul
  • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingAlex Burton13 Jul
    • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingWarren Young14 Jul
  • RE: Connection::connect() interface is changingJim Wallace13 Jul
    • Re: Connection::connect() interface is changingWarren Young14 Jul