List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Persson Date:June 21 2007 1:54pm
Subject:Unable to connect to db server on localhost
View as plain text
Hi,

I wanted to play around a bit with MySQL server 5.0,
MySQL++ 2.2.3, and MingW 3.81 on a Windows XP SP2
system.

First I am actually a bit uncertain whether MySQL++ is
built properly. I've followed the instructions in
readme.mingw, but the make step doesnt put the
binaries in the proper subdirectories (that is
assuming for instance that the example executables
should be in the examples subdirectory). No separate
debug and release versions of the .a libraries are
built. Running the final install.bat script will thus
only create subdirectories, not actually move any
files there. All the compiled files ended up in the
c:\mysql++ directory, but I put copies of the .a files
in c:\mysql++\lib\debug\ (assuming that the built
libraries are debug versions), and put the mysql++.dll
file where my compiled binary is.

Compilation issues aside it seems like my programs
(both examples and code of my own) cant connect to the
database server.

Mysql and the paths for it seem to be fine. I can
connect to the db server manually from the location of
the example binaries, and since this is a pure test
system I've created three accounts with user names
dba, usr, and rdr with passwords identical to the user
names.

The exact procedure of my failed attempt to run the
examples would be:

C:\mysql++>resetdb [localhost [dba [dba[]]]]
Connecting to database server...
Connection failed: Unknown MySQL server host
'[localhost' (11001)

My own code which really just is a copy and paste job
from the first example tries to connect to the db and
get the name field of a particular table (the database
was created manually before and only has one entry in
that table):

#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
using namespace mysqlpp ;
using namespace std ;

const char* DB = "recept";
const char* USER = "rdr";
const char* PASSWORD = "rdr";
const char* HOST = "localhost";

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
	// Connect to the sample database.
	mysqlpp::Connection con(false);
	cout << con.connect(DB, HOST, USER, PASSWORD) <<
endl;
	// Retrieve a subset of the sample stock table set up
by resetdb
	mysqlpp::Query query = con.query();
	cout << "test" << endl;
	query << "select namn from recept;";
	mysqlpp::Result res = query.store();
	// Display the result set
	cout << "We have:" << endl;
	if (res) {
		mysqlpp::Row row;
		mysqlpp::Row::size_type i;
		for (i = 0; row = res.at(i); ++i) {
			cout << '\t' << row.at(0) << endl;
		}
	}
	else {
		cerr << "Failed to get item list: " << query.error()
<< endl;
		return 1;
	}
	return 0;
}

Running that gives the following results

0
test
We have:
Failed to get item list: MySQL server has gone away

Manually connecting to the database (mysql -hlocalhost
-urdr -prdr recept and mysql -hlocalhost -udba -pdba)
works from the location of either binary.

I suspect I have made some very basic mistake, is
there a checklist of things to look for in this kind
of situation?:) And I'm sorry if I wont react to your
help right away, the midsummer holiday and my birthday
is coming up here in Sweden.

Regards
Martin

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
Thread
Unable to connect to db server on localhostMartin Persson21 Jun
  • Re: Unable to connect to db server on localhostWarren Young21 Jun
    • Re: Unable to connect to db server on localhostWarren Young21 Jun
    • Re: Unable to connect to db server on localhostWarren Young21 Jun
      • Re: Unable to connect to db server on localhostMartin Persson21 Jun
        • Re: Unable to connect to db server on localhostWarren Young23 Jun
          • Re: Unable to connect to db server on localhostMartin Persson26 Jun
            • Re: Unable to connect to db server on localhostWarren Young27 Jun