List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:March 21 2007 9:02pm
Subject:Re: dumping large binary file in database
View as plain text
Dimitris Servis wrote:
> and as it turns out probably not a MySQL++ issue

You'd have exactly the same problem using the C API.

> best thing would be to store the whole table as a blob

Oh, barf!  You're completely ceding the special benefits of a SQL
database server if you do that.

If you just need network access, put the current binary file on a file
share somewhere.  If that won't work for you, write a dedicated row
access server -- think of a very lightweight, flat-file database here.
You can do it in a few hundred lines of C.  Either way, you get rid of
the MySQL overhead, you can still access rows directly, and it's
maximally fast.

But, only do that if this is read-only.  Once you start writing to the
file at the same time as other programs are reading, you'll just end up
reinventing MySQL.  If you're in that situation, I'd just look at
something more lightweight...Berkeley DB, or SQLite, for example.  Don't
reinvent this wheel...this is a problem very nearly as old as computers
themselves.
Thread
dumping large binary file in databaseDimitris Servis20 Mar
  • Re: dumping large binary file in databaseWarren Young20 Mar
    • Re: dumping large binary file in databaseIan Miller21 Mar
      • Re: dumping large binary file in databaseMunira Ahmed21 Mar
      • Re: dumping large binary file in databaseWarren Young21 Mar
        • Re: dumping large binary file in databaseDimitris Servis21 Mar