List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:March 19 2007 12:48pm
Subject:Re: RPM packaging and library versioning
View as plain text
Remi Collet wrote:

> Here is my full specfile

Thanks!  I've merged as much of it into my copy as I think I can.  I
don't think we'll ever be able to get 100% of the differences worked
out, simply because of the differences in the targets for our RPMs, but
I would like to minimize the differences as much as possible.

Some comments on your file, with quotes from it:

> %{!?rebake:%define rebake 0}
> %if %{rebake}
> BuildRequires: bakefile = 0.2.0
> %endif

We no longer require rebaking in the RPM build process.  It caused too
many problems, without a great enough potential reward.

The risk here is that Bakefile will generate something different on my
system than it does on another system, which might matter to someone.
We're now choosing to ignore this risk.  If it's a problem for someone,
they can just rebuild the tarball with suitable Bakefile output first.

> Release:    2%{?dist}

I guess that variable becomes something like 'fc7' when built in the
Fedora build system?  If that's right, and it's empty normally, I'll
merge that difference into my copy.

> Patch0:     mysql++-2.2.1-bkl.patch

What is this patch?  Should I apply it to the repository?

> BuildRoot:  %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)

I guess this is a Fedora convention?  I'm hesitant to adopt it
immediately, but it looks like it will work on any system.  Is that right?

> make %{?_smp_mflags}

Is there a reason you're not using %{__make} ?  I thought you were
supposed to use these command aliases wherever possible.

> # correct bad perms to avoid rpmlint warning
> chmod -x  lib/common.h

That's just a mistake in the tarball.  You can remove this from your
spec file after the next version is released.

> cp -R doc/refman/html/ doc/html/refman
> cp -R doc/userman/html/ doc/html/userman

That breaks the hyperlinks from the user manual into the reference
manual.  If this reorganization is required by Fedora, we can talk about
changing the way the manuals are generated so they use that directory
structure.  If this is just cosmetic, please take this out of your spec
file; it would be a pointless difference.

> %files
> %doc LICENSE README doc/README.mysql++

I removed README.mysql++.  That file is only intended to be the README
for the -manuals package.  It just points people to further sources of
information.  I've renamed it to README.manuals to make this clearer.

> %files devel
> %doc doc/README.devel README.examples doc/examples HACKERS Wishlist

HACKERS is only useful in the tarball, the -src RPM, and the svn
repository.  I've removed it from this list.
Thread
Re: RPM packaging and library versioningJack Eidsness8 Mar
  • Re: RPM packaging and library versioningWarren Young8 Mar
    • Re: RPM packaging and library versioningRemi Collet8 Mar
      • Re: RPM packaging and library versioningWarren Young16 Mar
        • Re: RPM packaging and library versioningJack Eidsness16 Mar
          • Re: RPM packaging and library versioningWarren Young17 Mar
            • Re: RPM packaging and library versioningRemi Collet18 Mar
              • Re: RPM packaging and library versioningWarren Young19 Mar
                • Re: RPM packaging and library versioningJack Eidsness19 Mar
                  • Re: RPM packaging and library versioningRemi Collet19 Mar