List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:gary clark Date:December 22 2006 3:40pm
Subject:Re: handling medium text in sql_create statement?
View as plain text
Again Thanks Warren. I agree with you totally on
creating different tables. However the architect here
is well....stupid.
Hence I'm forced to use Chris Freys packarray a browse
and hopefully understand what is going.

Cheers,
Garyc
--- Warren Young <mysqlpp@stripped> wrote:

> gary clark wrote:
> >
> > i.e L=76 , L being the raw data and 76 being the
> > equivalent?
>
> I see...you are trying to pack smaller data items
> into a string.  Okay,
> understand, this is generally bad style.  If you
> need a 1-byte column,
> you should usually create a 1-byte column.  If you
> have a variable
> number of values, you just need another table, keyed
> to the first.
>
> Just as an example, consider a business that has a
> Customer table, but
> they decide that customers need multiple addresses.
> Instead of just
> adding more address columns or trying to pack
> multiple addresses into
> the existing structure, they correctly create the
> CustomerAddress table,
> keyed on the ID column from the Customer table.
> This lets them have as
> many addresses as they need, without trickery.
>
> If you can't normalize the data this way for some
> reason, give Chris
> Frey's packarray patch a look.  It's in the mailing
> list archives.  It's
> mainly waiting for a little user love before it can
> be included in the
> library.

http://lists.mysql.com/plusplus?unsub=1

Thread
transactionschristian hofmeister20 Dec
  • Re: transactionsAngelo Dipierro20 Dec
    • Re: transactionschristian hofmeister20 Dec
  • Re: transactionsWarren Young20 Dec
    • Re: transactionsWarren Young20 Dec
      • new User manualjoh3@lithophile.com20 Dec
      • Re: transactionschristian hofmeister23 Dec
    • Re: transactionsAngelo Dipierro21 Dec
      • handling medium text in sql_create statement?gary clark21 Dec
        • Re: handling medium text in sql_create statement?Warren Young22 Dec
          • Re: handling medium text in sql_create statement?gary clark22 Dec
            • Re: handling medium text in sql_create statement?Warren Young22 Dec
              • Re: handling medium text in sql_create statement?gary clark22 Dec
                • Re: handling medium text in sql_create statement?Warren Young22 Dec
RE: transactionsJim Wallace20 Dec