List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Katz Date:December 12 2005 2:00am
Subject:Connection Timers
View as plain text
We have an application that uses the mysqlclient++  libraries for email
archival.   We have recently been getting killed because of
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=4143.  It seems that mysql keels over
during a big query on a large database and it will not let our client
write to the db until the queries are completed.  Since there are no
connection timers in the default client our app was hanging until the
query was completed.  We applied the patches in the bug and we have a
patched client with connection timers but I want to ask a few questions
relative to these types of issues.

1) A lack of connection timers seems like a massive omission.  There is
a patch for Linux, but as far as I know there is nothing available for
other OS's.  It is impossible to build reliable database applications
without connection timers as we have learned.  If we want to contribute
connection timer patches for other OS's for the ++client how can we go
about doing this?

2) Has anyone else been burned by this bug?  If not, beware as there is
a lurking time bomb if your db can not keep up with load or fails for
some reason.

Thanks,
MK

Thread
Connection TimersMichael Katz12 Dec
  • Re: Connection TimersWarren Young12 Dec
    • Re: Connection TimersMichael Katz12 Dec