List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Allan Hardy Date:November 9 2005 9:25pm
Subject:RE: License Question
View as plain text

The following applies if you DISTRIBUTE and only IF,
In house or internal use has no obligations legally what so ever. You
are not obligated to provide the changes back to the MySQL++ team, not
legally though morally you have consider your self.

Also, note you can static link all day, as long as its internal use.
There is none of the other happy crap about derived works to be
concerned with.

But for distribution:

LGPL and GPL require you to either provide source or make an offer for
source.  You are much better off providing source at the same time as
you provide executables.

An offer, such as email me, go to my web site, etc, must be available
for 3 years and must be available to the public.  Hence you get into the
distribution business.  If you ship source at the same time as the
executables, then your done, no further obligations to provide the
source to anyone else.

The above applies to the source for MySQL++ and any changes you have
made.

Lastly, you cannot point people to the MySQL++ site as a way to meet
your obligation to provide source for MySQL++
This is because of the 3 year requirement.  Unless you have cut a deal
with someone else, such as the MySQL team, that they promise to make the
source (for that version) available for 3 years, then you have to meet
that obligation yourself. You can't simply point to someone else.

Hope that helps.

Allan