List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Frey Date:November 9 2005 9:15pm
Subject:Re: License Question
View as plain text
On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 04:01:19PM -0500, Hardy, Allan wrote:
> Actually I am not clear on how a derived work of an GPL product can be
> licensed under LGPL?
> I asked them about that as well.
> (I didn't ask them directly but since MySQL++ was originally calling
> LGPL MySQL, now that MySQL has changed to GPL, doesn't MySQL++ need to)

No.  mysql++ is a separate library, authored separatedly, and has no need
to change its license because someone else does.  We don't distribute
mysql code.

The LGPL allows you to change the license to GPL (section 3).  I believe
this is what allows LGPL to link against GPL.

If I'm correct (consult a lawyer) the Prop -> LGPL -> GPL equation becomes:
	Prop -> GPL -> GPL
... which doesn't work.

> If I get any response from FSF I will update you all if interested

I'd be interested.  Feel free to email me privately if you don't want to
add it to the list... although by now, it's probably a good idea to finish
this thread with an official word if we get it. :-)

- Chris

Thread
License QuestionAllan Hardy9 Nov
  • Re: License QuestionChris Frey9 Nov