List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Frey Date:November 9 2005 8:49pm
Subject:Re: License Question
View as plain text
On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 12:52:39PM -0700, Warren Young wrote:
> Hardy, Allan wrote:
> >
> >	Proprietary app ->
> >		dynamically linked to LGPL mysql++ ->
> >		dynamically linked to GPL licensed mysql
> >
> >Since the LGPL woul isolate the Proprietary App from the GPL copyleft
>
> Ah, no.  The most restrictive license always obtains.
>
> If your statement were the case, then on Linux, the LGPL nature of glibc
> would free a lot of apps from needing to be GPL.

This is turning into the debian-legal mailing list without the experts. :-)

I believe this is a bad example.  People can write proprietary apps
on linux using the LGPL'd glibc, since you're not linking with the kernel
when you write an app.  They just have to be careful not to use any
GPL'd library in the process.

If proprietary binary modules are allowed *inside* the kernel (e.g. NVidia),
then proprietary apps are definitely possible.

- Chris

Thread
License QuestionAllan Hardy9 Nov
  • Re: License QuestionChris Frey9 Nov