List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:November 9 2005 6:12pm
Subject:Re: License Question
View as plain text
Hardy, Allan wrote:

> Putting all the technical details aside, why did you choose LGPL over
> GPL?

I am not the original author, and neither is MySQL AB.  The original
author chose it, but he is no longer involved with MySQL++.  The
original author will not relicense his code, so we are stuck with this
license.

> It seems that Static linking to LGPL libraries offers no advantages over
> GPL?

No.  With GPL you have to provide human-readable source code to your
users.  If you statically link an LGPL library to your program, you only
have to provide sufficient files to be able to relink the executable;
unless your program is truly weird, that means object files.

Both of these are spelled out in the licenses themselves.  Have you read
them lately?

> I mean it doesn't meet the objective of working with proprietary
> software any better.

Why is static linking tied to proprietary applications in your mind?
What's wrong with dynamic linking?
Thread
License QuestionAllan Hardy9 Nov
  • Re: License QuestionChris Frey9 Nov