List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:November 9 2005 1:05pm
Subject:Re: License Question
View as plain text
Hardy, Allan wrote:

> Where the description page says "Since MySQL++ is licensed under the
> LGPL, you cannot link it statically to closed-source programs"
>
> My understanding is just the opposite.
> That one can link to LGPL programs without the copyleft, GPL licensing,
> issues.

You're not understanding static linking, then.  Static linking makes the
MySQL++ binary code part of your executable.  Dynamic linking, by
contrast, keeps the MySQL++ binary code elsewhere, and your code only
links to it when the program runs.

The LGPL provisions basically allow your users to replace parts of
MySQL++ if they want, without affecting your program.  They cannot do
this if you give them an executable with MySQL++ statically linked.

There is a workaround: you can also give your users object files for
your program, so they can relink it to MySQL++ themselves.  This would
allow you to statically link to MySQL++, but most people find providing
*.o files too odious.

If you want to argue further about this, I'm not interested.  See the
FAQs and documentation on gnu.org, and/or consult a lawyer.
Thread
License QuestionAllan Hardy9 Nov
  • Re: License QuestionChris Frey9 Nov
    • Re: License QuestionWarren Young9 Nov