List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Frey Date:November 9 2005 3:19am
Subject:Re: License Question
View as plain text
On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 09:21:05PM -0500, Hardy, Allan wrote:
> So why isn't MySQL++ licensed as GPL?

mysql++ wasn't originally written by the MySQL company, and started out as a
cross-database C++ library that happened to implement MySQL first.  Early
versions were called "sqlplus".  See the user manual for more info on the
history.

Indeed, earlier versions of the MySQL C API were LGPL too.  I believe
MySQL changed this around version 4.0.20.  You can still get mysql 3.23.x
if license matters in your application.

mysql++ can still be used as a cross-database C++ wrapper, and I'd like to
do that someday, or help with the effort, so there's no reason to change
from LGPL.

It's interesting to note how companies like MySQL and Trolltech (Qt) use
the GPL in a defensive manner, while companies like RedHat (Cygwin/Gnome)
use LGPL.

- Chris

Thread
License QuestionAllan Hardy9 Nov