List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Allan Hardy Date:November 9 2005 2:21am
Subject:RE: License Question
View as plain text
Chris,

Thanks.  IANAL  (I am not a lawyer) either, but do hang around them a
bit to much :)

I assume the MySQL++ author had a reason to pick LGPL over GPL
(despite Stallmans request he use GPL
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html)

The reason for LGPL existence is to allow free software to survive in an
unfree market place. At the times when using GPL would lead to the
non-adoption of the work because there are competing alternatives.

It does that by lessening the copyleft, derived work, requirement.

So, again I am still not sure why the MySQL++ author indicates that LGPL
cannot work well with non-open software?

As to the LGPL on top of GPL thing. Normally I would assume that this is
not possible to do. If MySQL was licensed under a normal GPL license
then it would seem that any 'wrapper' would need to be GPL licensed as
well.  However MySQL has an exception, called the FOSS Exception, that
allows programs using a set list of FOSS licenses to avoid the GPL
copyleft requirement.  I assume that is how MySQL++ gets away with being
LGPL?

Though of course now we have the slippery slope, if MySQL++ as LGPL
allows integration by proprietary products, then we have caused a hole
in the MySQL GPL protection.

So why isn't MySQL++ licensed as GPL?

Thread
License QuestionAllan Hardy9 Nov