List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Frey Date:November 9 2005 12:26am
Subject:Re: License Question
View as plain text
On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 07:11:23PM -0500, Hardy, Allan wrote:
> Where the description page says "Since MySQL++ is licensed under the
> LGPL, you cannot link it statically to closed-source programs"
>
> My understanding is just the opposite.
> That one can link to LGPL programs without the copyleft, GPL licensing,
> issues.
> So closed source programs can use LGPL, that's like the whole reason for
> GPL.

I'm not a lawyer, so this is not legal advice.

You might be interested in a post I made a while back:

	http://lists.mysql.com/plusplus/4675

Remember though, that while mysql++ is licensed under LGPL, it is based
on the mysql C API, and recent versions of that are licensed under
the GPL.  So you're still stuck, when it comes to closed source programs.

I'm not a legal expert when it comes to layering LGPL on top of GPL,
but it seems a fuzzy area to me, and would side on the GPL for safety.

If you are writing closed source applications, use Postgresql and its C++
library: libpqxx.  Both are licensed under a BSD-style license.

- Chris

Thread
License QuestionAllan Hardy9 Nov
  • Re: License QuestionChris Frey9 Nov