List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Patrick McMichael Date:September 13 2005 10:16pm
Subject:RE: MySQL++ on MinGW
View as plain text
Warren,

	I'm sorry that your MinGW "crew" is such a let down.  I do consider
myself a programmer, but maybe I shouldn't be considered one by your
definition.  I have looked at each of the sites you listed in your e-mail,
and I do pay attention to the SVN trunk, updating my working copy whenever I
read you've released a new version.  I have spent 1 to 2 months of my
companies' time (about half-time) trying to figure out how and why MySQL++
won't create a viable dll in MinGW.  Along the way, I've discovered a couple
resources that might also be helpful to someone who is more able and more
understanding of such matters.  For any who are willing to take up the
quest, they are:

http://www.willus.com/mingw/yongweiwu_stdcall.html

http://fortran-2000.com/ArnaudRecipes/sharedlib.html

And the one you used to have in the documentation:

http://www.emmestech.com/software/cygwin/pexports-0.43/moron1.html

	When it gets into how one platform name decorates functions and
trying to mold and bend exports file that are also inexplicably known as
import files, I know I am beyond my means.  You are right, ignorance is not
permanent, but sometimes at least for me the best solution is to give up for
a time, and come back to it later, with more experience.  That's what I'm
doing now.
	All I know is that I've been able to build and use a number of other
3rd party libraries to accomplish their tasks on the MinGW platform
(wxWidgets, CommonC++, CMarkup, Xerces, etc.), so there doesn't (to me) seem
to be any reason why this library couldn't be made to work as well -
especially since it's "100% Standard C++ code".
	Until someone can fix the problem, I think that maintaining the
MinGW makefiles with the current level of documentation of the problem at
hand is a good solution.  I don't know how much effort that takes on your
part, but it will at least keep someone who is better than the rest of us at
MinGW from leaving the project right off when he sees there's no MinGW
support whatsoever.

-Patrick

Thread
MySQL++ on MinGWboka man13 Sep
  • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young13 Sep
    • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWZahroof Mohamed13 Sep
      • RE: MySQL++ on MinGWPatrick McMichael13 Sep
        • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWZahroof Mohamed13 Sep
          • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young13 Sep
            • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young13 Sep
            • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWZahroof Mohamed13 Sep
              • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young13 Sep
                • RE: MySQL++ on MinGWPatrick McMichael14 Sep
                  • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young15 Sep