List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zahroof Mohamed Date:September 13 2005 8:09pm
Subject:Re: MySQL++ on MinGW

Have you considered using the Subversion tree? In a sense, this will
> put you even more on the bleeding edge, but it will also relieve you of
> having to integrate each new version into your tree. When you're done
> making changes, svn can be asked to generate a patch file. (See the
> HACKERS file.) I'm far more likely to apply a tested patch than react
> to a prose description of needed changes.

 This is the whole problem. I don't understand what you are saying
(Subversion tree, svn etc). When I hear the word subversion, I'm thinking of
things that are illegal. I guess that's why I can't contribute - even though
I'd like to.

> Just a friendly warning: if your solution involves making people use the
> same IDE you do, I'll reject it. In the specific case of MinGW, you
> need to figure out some way that anyone can build it, regardless of IDE.

 Nope. Not my intention at all to force someone to use my IDE. Since I don't
know exactly why my solution works and I can't figure it out, I can point
out what I did and hopefully, someone who is into this kind of thing will
look at it closely, figure it out and express it in a language and format
that is acceptable to you.
 Hey, Warren, I commend you for the leadership role that you've taken on in
leading this community project. However, you have to understand that there
are people in this community who see the potential of your work and apply it
but are not technically capable in this field in order to contribute to it
in the format you require. In my case, I can only explain with, as you call
it, "prose" - because I don't know patch is let alone how to create it.
However, when I do contribute in my way with "prose" and you come down on it
like a ton of bricks, all I can do is shut up and watch from the sidelines.
This prose might actually help someone else within this community who is in
the same boat as I am in - people who can deal better with prose rather than
patches.
 Once again, I commend you for the great work that you are doing, but please
understand that not everyone in this community is as adept as you in this
line of work. May the Force be with you.
 Zahroof Mohamed
Senior Designer, R&D
Cooper Compression

Thread
MySQL++ on MinGWboka man13 Sep
  • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young13 Sep
    • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWZahroof Mohamed13 Sep
      • RE: MySQL++ on MinGWPatrick McMichael13 Sep
        • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWZahroof Mohamed13 Sep
          • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young13 Sep
            • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young13 Sep
            • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWZahroof Mohamed13 Sep
              • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young13 Sep
                • RE: MySQL++ on MinGWPatrick McMichael14 Sep
                  • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young15 Sep