List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zahroof Mohamed Date:September 13 2005 3:59pm
Subject:Re: MySQL++ on MinGW
View as plain text
Warren,
 I'm not sure why you say that you can't make a working dll of MySQL++ with
MinGW. I've been doing this for some time now and I've posted some of the
mods that need to be done to make this work. I haven't been working with
MySQL++ for several months now due to some other stuff I'm busy with - so I
haven't downloaded and compiled version 2.0 or later versions of MySQL++.
I'd worked with the latest version as of February this year and was able to
make a dll that worked fine with my program. I did have problems linking
multiple files with MySQL library. But that was because I needed to compile
the MySQL distribution using MinGW.
 I hope you continue to provide support for MinGW as my program depends on
it.
 I'm afraid I'm only a very part time programmer and am not familiar with
the Unix tools that you use to make and configure project files. I don't
understand some of the lingo that you all use regarding open source, cvs,
tar-balls etc. It's a little bit difficult to contribute under those
circumstances and I apologize for that.
 Best regards,
Zahroof Mohamed
Senior Engineer, R&D
Cooper Compression

> boka man wrote:
> > i am working on Dev C++ to write a simple mysql++ program.
>
> The next version of MySQL++ will not even have MinGW support, because it
> doesn't make sense to use it right now.
>
> The primary problem is that MinGW cannot make a working DLL version of
> MySQL++. You can find a detailed problem report by searching the
> mailing list for posts I've made on MinGW previously. I cannot tell you
> anything beyond that. I don't use MinGW myself, so I have little
> personal interest in spending more time on the problem. If someone gets
> it working, my next argument will collapse, so I will probably put MinGW
> support back into MySQL++.
>
> The secondary problem is that keeping MinGW support in MySQL++ means it
> is only good for LGPL or GPL programs. Since the primary reason to use
> MinGW is to avoid the GPL problems with Cygwin, I don't see any rational
> reason to use MinGW and MySQL++ as long as the DLL problem remains.
> Even if there is some rational reason to use MinGW for GPL or LGPL
> programs instead of Cygwin, it's still a tiny minority of MySQL++ users.
> I will not keep a broken feature in MySQL++ just to support a tiny
> minority.
>
> Is there some reason you cannot use one of the free versions of Visual
> C++ mentioned in the MySQL++ FAQ?

MySQL++ on MinGWboka man13 Sep
  • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young13 Sep
    • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWZahroof Mohamed13 Sep
      • RE: MySQL++ on MinGWPatrick McMichael13 Sep
        • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWZahroof Mohamed13 Sep
          • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young13 Sep
            • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young13 Sep
            • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWZahroof Mohamed13 Sep
              • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young13 Sep
                • RE: MySQL++ on MinGWPatrick McMichael14 Sep
                  • Re: MySQL++ on MinGWWarren Young15 Sep