List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:August 31 2005 5:17am
Subject:Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU make
View as plain text
Chris Frey wrote:

> I do think that someone would be likely to contribute or update a VC7
> project file, as this is something a windows developer is familiar with,
> and only needs some GUI work.  So I still like my contrib/ directory idea.
>
> I'll even maintain that directory so you can ignore it completely, if you
> like, and be the contact person for project files and package build
> scripts, so even a "string of volunteers" can contribute through me.

I won't try to stop you if you do this, but I will admit to being a
little annoyed by it.  But programmers being annoyed by "the users" is
normal, so don't mind me.  :)

I just thought of another reason makefiles are superior, at least for
MySQL++: you have to drop to a command line to run the examples anyway.
  What's the point of going to the trouble to build everything in the
GUI if you can't effectively test things there?  Yes, you could put
breakpoints at the end of main() on all of the examples, and set the
Debug | Run settings for your system, but...ick.  Command lines are
still superior for many things.

> didn't feel I had the same freedom to mess around and experiment with
> the SVN account.

As long as you put your hackery on a separate branch, I don't care.

> Plus, I couldn't keep up with you... there's 239 new commit messages
> still in my mailbox that I haven't even looked at, and my methodical
> methods don't mesh well with that. :-)

It's been useful in the past for you to check my work, but I hope you
don't feel compelled to do it.  A lot of the proposed changes for
MySQL++ are quite parallelizable, especially now that we've gotten all
the major archtecture changes out of the way for a while.
Thread
VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young29 Aug
  • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeChris Frey29 Aug
    • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young30 Aug
      • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeChris Frey30 Aug
        • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young31 Aug
          • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeChris Frey31 Aug
            • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young31 Aug
              • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeChris Frey1 Sep
                • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young1 Sep
    • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeThomas Werth30 Aug
      • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young31 Aug
        • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeThomas Werth31 Aug