List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thomas Werth Date:August 30 2005 5:40am
Subject:Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU make
View as plain text
i would prefer having vc build process , too.
It's just i know this way is working and i don't have to use one more
compiler where i don't know to get help when stuck...
Anyway this is just my opinion :)

Chris Frey schrieb:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 12:21:26PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>
>>There are several sources for GNU make for Win32, so I don't see how
>>anyone can claim this prereq as a hardship.  If you disagree, let me
>>know...I'm not set on this course yet.
>

> I can see it as a hardship, and I don't even use mysql++ on VC++. :-)
>
> When I want to build something on windows, say bochs or VNC for example,
> it's always a huge relief to see VC++ project files available, since it
> indicates somebody has already been down that path before.
>
> When someone has been down the path of the windows toolchain, things just
> work, at least in my experience.  When you need special build tools,
> a GNU tool chain, or something external, it is often not documented well,
> and there are problems down the line.
>
> Have you ever tried to build mozilla on windows?  It's a freaking
> nightmare. :-)  I've banged my head against that build process a few
> times, and still haven't gotten it to build, even with the official
> release tarball. (!)  This build process has stopped me from even attempting
> to work on a simple feature.  No sense to code if I can't build it.
>
> Admittedly, mozilla is much larger than mysql++, but I think it
> illustrates the point of keeping the build process simple.
>
> Just my $0.02... as I don't use mysql++ on windows (yet), take with
> a chunk of salt. :-)
>
> - Chris

Thread
VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young29 Aug
  • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeChris Frey29 Aug
    • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young30 Aug
      • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeChris Frey30 Aug
        • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young31 Aug
          • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeChris Frey31 Aug
            • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young31 Aug
              • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeChris Frey1 Sep
                • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young1 Sep
    • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeThomas Werth30 Aug
      • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young31 Aug
        • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeThomas Werth31 Aug