List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Frey Date:August 29 2005 9:49pm
Subject:Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU make
View as plain text
On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 12:21:26PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
> There are several sources for GNU make for Win32, so I don't see how
> anyone can claim this prereq as a hardship.  If you disagree, let me
> know...I'm not set on this course yet.

I can see it as a hardship, and I don't even use mysql++ on VC++. :-)

When I want to build something on windows, say bochs or VNC for example,
it's always a huge relief to see VC++ project files available, since it
indicates somebody has already been down that path before.

When someone has been down the path of the windows toolchain, things just
work, at least in my experience.  When you need special build tools,
a GNU tool chain, or something external, it is often not documented well,
and there are problems down the line.

Have you ever tried to build mozilla on windows?  It's a freaking
nightmare. :-)  I've banged my head against that build process a few
times, and still haven't gotten it to build, even with the official
release tarball. (!)  This build process has stopped me from even attempting
to work on a simple feature.  No sense to code if I can't build it.

Admittedly, mozilla is much larger than mysql++, but I think it
illustrates the point of keeping the build process simple.

Just my $0.02... as I don't use mysql++ on windows (yet), take with
a chunk of salt. :-)

- Chris

Thread
VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young29 Aug
  • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeChris Frey29 Aug
    • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young30 Aug
      • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeChris Frey30 Aug
        • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young31 Aug
          • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeChris Frey31 Aug
            • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young31 Aug
              • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeChris Frey1 Sep
                • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young1 Sep
    • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeThomas Werth30 Aug
      • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeWarren Young31 Aug
        • Re: VC++ users: new proposed requirement for GNU makeThomas Werth31 Aug