List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:August 3 2005 12:43am
Subject:Re: MinGW DLL build saga continues...
View as plain text
Warren Young wrote:
> Thanks to some help from list member Robin, I've got a MinGW building
> MySQL++ as a DLL.  Unfortunately, there's a new problem, which is that
> MinGW can't link programs to it.

Status update: this is the old "MinGW can't make a DLL" problem that
cropped up after the big file renaming in MySQL++ 1.7.20.  The bit in
quotes is how I received the problem report, but it's not correct: MinGW
can make the DLL all right, it just refuses to link programs against it.

For now, I've checked in a change that builds a static library instead.
  This works fine.  The LGPL consequence of this is that you must
provide objects to your users if you make a closed-source program, so
they can relink it against a new MySQL++.  If this is unacceptable to
you, use VC++, or help me fix this problem!

Now that I recognize this as the same old problem as was reported back
after 1.7.20, I'm confident that it can be fixed.  The only question is
how much effort it will take, and who (if anyone) will be so moved as to
put forth that effort.
Thread
MinGW DLL build saga continues...Warren Young29 Jul
  • Re: MinGW DLL build saga continues...Warren Young3 Aug
Re: MinGW DLL build saga continues...Warren Young29 Jul