List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:July 8 2005 6:25am
Subject:Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definition
linker errors
View as plain text
Chris Frey wrote:

> It is the syntax, I must admit (it's so top-heavy with markup),

XML can be ugly, but take another look at what I posted.  It's very
nearly the same number of characters as current SSQLS definitions.

> plus needing
> some other dependency on my system to build.

Naturally if there's a separate tool, it will be built and installed
along with the library.  There may be prerequisites like xsltproc or
Perl, by they're very readily available on all common systems, if not
installed already.

The only inconvenience to the user is when setting up the build system
for their own project.  And most people will probably be suitably well
served by cutting-and-pasting from the examples' build system.

> I'm reminded of Microsoft's special interface language here.

...or Motif's, or Qt's, or...  There are a great many other projects
that have run into this same wall, and routed around it the same way.

> Also, the idea of generating code usually tells me that something is
> broken in the design or abstraction somewhere.

We're _creating types_ here, for a statically-typed language.  Code must
be generated at or before compile time, somehow.  Abstractions don't
enter into it.

>  I'm not totally against code generation: I'm pondering
> it myself for my own CPPHP project.

Then you can consider this a prototype pass for your own effort.  Steal
the result when we get it right. :)

> The syntax makes me shudder, but it's the best in the field so far,
> it seems. :-)

Nobody likes XML for XML's sake.  We like it because of all the tools
that have sprung up around it.
Thread
static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWolfram Arnold6 Jul
  • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definition linker errorsChris Frey6 Jul
    • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWolfram Arnold6 Jul
    • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWarren Young6 Jul
      • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definition linker errorsChris Frey6 Jul
        • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWarren Young6 Jul
          • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definition linker errorsChris Frey7 Jul
            • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWarren Young7 Jul
              • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definition linker errorsChris Frey8 Jul
                • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWarren Young8 Jul
              • Unresolved External SymbolBrian Farmer14 Jul
                • Re: Unresolved External SymbolWarren Young14 Jul
                • Connection always on and field namesAnkur G35 Saxena17 Jul
                  • Re: Connection always on and field namesWarren Young18 Jul
  • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWarren Young6 Jul