List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:July 6 2005 5:51pm
Subject:Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definition
linker errors
View as plain text
Wolfram Arnold wrote:

> While we're talking about wish-lists for version 2.0,

News to me.  Since the beta was just released, the v2.0 feature set is
frozen, as far as I'm concerned.  (To me, beta means "feature-complete,
but may have bugs.")

That's not to say that I'm not accepting patches for v2.0.  Just that
it's a little late...

> The SSQL macro expansion will create static globals that are being
> defined (assinged) as part of the macro.

This has been on the Wishlist for a long time.  The copy you have in
your 1.7.35 version has it...look for "static".  I point that out
because it contains two suggestions for fixing it as well.

I added a third possibility recently:

"...redesign the SSQLS mechanism entirely.  Instead of defining SSQLSes
by instantiating macros, you could declare the structure in, say, an XML
format, which could be tranformed (XSLT?  Perl + SAX?) into code very
much like in the current SSQLS macros, except that it would generate
separate .cpp and .h files for each structure.  In addition to solving
the static member problem, it would have other advantages, like
side-stepping the Borland C++ macro size limit."

I like this a lot better than the other two choices.  The macros are
ugly and unmaintainable.  We have the technology to build a better
mechanism.

This would not be a trivial patch, of course.
Thread
static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWolfram Arnold6 Jul
  • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definition linker errorsChris Frey6 Jul
    • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWolfram Arnold6 Jul
    • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWarren Young6 Jul
      • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definition linker errorsChris Frey6 Jul
        • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWarren Young6 Jul
          • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definition linker errorsChris Frey7 Jul
            • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWarren Young7 Jul
              • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definition linker errorsChris Frey8 Jul
                • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWarren Young8 Jul
              • Unresolved External SymbolBrian Farmer14 Jul
                • Re: Unresolved External SymbolWarren Young14 Jul
                • Connection always on and field namesAnkur G35 Saxena17 Jul
                  • Re: Connection always on and field namesWarren Young18 Jul
  • Re: static globals in SSQL macro expansion -> multiple definitionlinker errorsWarren Young6 Jul