List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Frey Date:May 28 2005 11:51pm
Subject:Re: RELEASE: v1.7.40
View as plain text
On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 12:02:36PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>     o Lots of code style updates.  Everything should now be consistently
>       formatted.

I sure hope so. :-)  Man that was brutal... in the future you might want to
use something like GNU indent and make a release with only formatting changes.
Then it wouldn't be such a pain to track real changes with diff.  The -b
option helps, but not enough.

And since I'm on the topic, I'll just state for the record that I'm
generally against changing code like this:

	const char *str;	// this is good

to:

	const char* str;	// this is bad

Because it makes the following valid code look correct, when it usually isn't:

	const char* str1, str2;

(I've been of this opinion before Joel Spolsky wrote about it too)

That said, in general the old formatting style was rather compact and
hard to parse, so thanks for the work so far. :-)

- Chris

Thread
RELEASE: v1.7.40Warren Young27 May
  • Re: RELEASE: v1.7.40Chris Frey28 May