List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:May 11 2005 7:43pm
Subject:Re: Documentation license
View as plain text
Chris Frey wrote:

> Since the new documentation is based on the old documentation, it is under
> the LGPL as well.

The old documentation files themselves do not have copyright and license
notice.  There is a copy of the LGPL within the old documentation, but
from the text leading up to it, it seems that this is meant to apply to
the code itself.

I'm not saying that the documentation is under no license.  If that were
true, we'd have no right to use the documentation at all, as it would
fall under standard copyright.  I'm just saying that it seems that there
was no particular thought put into the topic.  This isn't surprising
because the various documentation licenses we have now were either
nonexistent or just barely coming into existence while MySQL++ was under
significant development under the previous regime.  Since LGPL is a poor
match for documentation, I believe they would have chosen one of these
if they'd known of their existence, and cared.

As a result, I don't think it's a practical problem to assign a
different license explicitly, as long as it has the same effective terms
as we assumed it had before.  Specifically, it should be possible to use
it commercially, so long as you share your changes and not revoke any
privileges you recieved when distributing it.

> Plus, I don't think comments can be separated from code, license-wise,

Sure they can.  A license is a contract, and you can write a contract
with any terms you wish.  Since the comments are completely separable
from the source code proper (the same executable code is generated
independent of their presence or content) I don't see a problem treating
them separately.

I'm not trying to hijack the documentation here, just put it under a
license suited to documentation.

> There is some distaste for the new documentation licenses as well,

All of them, or just some of them?

And, is this distaste in the form "we think this could be better", or
"we won't add this to the distribution unless you change the license"?
If the former, I'm not inclined to worry about it unless they come up
with that better thing.  If they do have a better thing, let's use that.

As I see it, both the GNU FDL and the Creative Commons Attribution
ShareAlike licenses are compatible with the intentions of the primary
creators of MySQL++.  The artifacts they left behind for us to guess
these intentions are the fact that it was LGPL licensed, and this
statement from the original docs: "The intent of [licensing under LGPL]
is allow developers to use my library to develop commercial programs and
to allow it be distributed with commercial databases."

Tell you what, I'll ask Sinisa, and see if I can track down Kevin
Atkinson and ask him as well.
Thread
Documentation licenseChris Frey11 May
  • Re: Documentation licenseWarren Young11 May
    • Re: Documentation licenseWarren Young11 May
    • Re: Documentation licenseChris Frey12 May
      • Re: Documentation licenseWarren Young12 May
        • Re: Documentation licenseChris Frey12 May