List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Warren Young Date:May 4 2005 8:29pm
Subject:Public Subversion repository choices
View as plain text
I am looking at making my private Subversion repository public somehow.
  Hosting this repository myself is not practical.  Therefore, I've
looked into the various free Subversion hosting providers.  I've
narrowed the field to two candidates:

- Savannah (http://savannah.nongnu.org/).  Main problem with this one is
they're out at the tip of the RMS wing of the community; rhetoric,
politics, inflexible viewpoint, the whole nine yards.  The main thing in
their demand list (oops, sorry, terms of service) that's likely to cause
a problem is that they insist that your program not depend on
proprietary software.  From the RMS perspective, where does the
dual-licensed MySQL lie?  I've applied to them anyway, and we'll see if
we make it through their gatekeepers.

- ObjectWeb (http://objectweb.org/)  No politics here, but they're
constituted to focus on middleware, particuarly Java-based stuff.  While
they may let us host there, it seems a bit of a stretch to call MySQL++
"middleware".  One can _build_ middleware with MySQL++, but...  I'm also
not wild about the paperwork involved.  It's constituted more like a
formal consortium (which at the top levels, it is) but we have no need
of such formalities.

SourceForge would have been ideal, except that they only support CVS,
and I bade my final goodbyes to that a month ago now.  I'm not going
back now.

Comments, concerns, suggestions?
Thread
Public Subversion repository choicesWarren Young4 May
  • Re: Public Subversion repository choicesChris Frey4 May
    • Re: Public Subversion repository choicesWarren Young5 May